A Heart Healthy Diet Makeover
Heart Disease remains the number one cause of death in the U.S. among both men and women. Part of the problem is it is truly a silent killer. There are few warning signs of a heart attack and the signs that are there donâ??t necessarily make us feel bad. The good news is there are many lifestyle changes you can make to significantly decrease your risk of heart disease. Here are 9 simple steps to make over your diet for heart health.
1. Use the right fats: The good fats are found to preserve HDL (protective cholesterol) and lower LDL (Bad Cholesterol) levels. The good fats are found in foods such as olive, canola, and peanut oils as well as nuts, avocados and olives.
2. Decrease the Saturated Fats: These fats tend to increase the cholesterol made by your body. They can increase your total and LDL (Bad) cholesterol levels. Saturated fats are found in animal products such as dairy, poultry (especially the skin), meats, butter and cream based sauces and dressings. It is not necessary to omit these foods, just choose leaner options and have the higher fat foods once in awhile.
3. Remove all Trans Fats from your pantry! : Trans Fats are oils that have been hardened by the hydrogenation process, such as stick margarine and shortening used to make commercial baked goods, chips, and fast foods. Like saturated fats, these fats increase total blood cholesterol and LDL (Bad) cholesterol levels and may even lower HDL (Good) cholesterol levels. Food labels will be required to list the amount of Trans fats in a food product by 2006. Until then, if the ingredient list on the food label includes the term hydrogenated, or partially hydrogenated, it contains Trans Fats. Avoid these products!
4. Increase Your Fiber! : Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol levels in the blood by binding to cholesterol in the intestine so it cannot be absorbed by the body. Good food sources of soluble fiber include beans and legumes, oranges, apples, prunes, broccoli, carrots, oat bran, oatmeal, and some cereals. Use whole grain products in place of their white counterparts. Eat at least 20-40 grams of fiber a day. (Most Americans only eat around 12 grams of fiber a day.)
5. Omega-3 Fatty Acids every day: Omega-3 Fatty Acids are essential fatty acids meaning we have to get them from our diet. These fatty acids may reduce the risk of blood clotting, decrease inflammation, lower triglyceride levels, normalize heart rhythms and improve the immune system. Consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids daily may reduce the incidence of sudden cardiac death by 50-70%. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in: fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, lake trout, halibut, and sardines. Other sources include ground flax seeds, soybeans, canola oil, and walnuts.
6. Five To Eight Fruits and Vegetables a day: Eating fruits and vegetables can help to decrease your risk of heart disease, cancer, cataracts, and can help to lower blood pressure. Fruits and Vegetables are loaded in vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. The more fruits and veggies you eat, the more antioxidant activity in your body. How do antioxidants work? Every day we are exposed to free radicals from our diets, sun, chemical exposure, pollution, etc. These free radicals promote the plaque build up in our arteries leading us to increased risk of heart disease. Antioxidants work by neutralizing these free radicals before they can cause damage to our bodies.
7. Folic Acid: High levels of an amino acid called homocysteine in the blood have been associated with damage to the blood-vessel walls, increased blood clotting, and overall increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Folate is a B vitamin which has been shown to decrease these homocysteine levels in the blood. Good food sources of Folate include green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, beet greens, and chard as well as legumes, asparagus, broccoli, oranges, orange juice, whole and fortified grains, walnuts and peanuts.
8. Add some almonds! Studies show that eating an ounce of almonds a day can help to lower your cholesterol. A matter of fact, a recent study published in Journal of the American Medical Association found that eating a diet that included plant sterol margarine (such as Benecol or ProActiv), soy products, almonds and increase fiber was able to lower cholesterol levels as much as the statin drugs and in just 2 weeks time! Have an ounce of almonds as a snack, or sprinkle them in your cereal or salad.
9. Have a little soy: Soy has also been shown to lower cholesterol levels. Using soy on a weekly basis is a great step towards protecting your heart. If you are not a tofu fan, try soy milk or yogurt, garden burgers, edamme (soy beans), or soy sausage patties. There are all kinds of ways to include soy in your diet!
Sample Heart Healthy Meal Makeover:
Diet make over:
Making small changes can go a long way to improve your heart health! What changes can you start making?
Â© Meri Raffetto, 2005
About the Author
Owner of Real Living Nutrition Services, Meri Raffetto is a Registered Dietitian and a recognized professional in the area of nutrition and wellness. She has developed two online weight management programs, The Mini Diet Makeover and The Ultimate Diet Makeover, which focus on a healthy, non-diet approach to weight loss. For more information or to sign up for our free newsletter, visit http://www.reallivingnutrition.com
How vacation rentals affect the cost of housing in Sonoma Valley Sonoma Index-Tribune
How to plan a week of vacation cooking for your rental house The Washington Post
Here are 7 extraordinary summer vacation rentals in South Carolina to spice up your trip - The State
What You Need to Know About Vacation Rentals PASSPORT Magazine
Oregon vacation rental manager Meredith Lodging expands with Mount Hood-area acquisition - OregonLive
10 Bethany Beach Vacation Rentals On The Water TravelAwaits
2022 Vacation Rentals New Normal? by Mike Harrington | Sponsored Insights - Greater Wilmington Business Journal
2022 Vacation Rentals New Normal? by Mike Harrington | Sponsored Insights Greater Wilmington Business Journal
Do Airbnb and Vrbo back up their vacation rental guarantees? Here's what you should know. - USA TODAY
Fall Vacation Rentals and Rising Cost of Real Estate by Mike Harrington | Sponsored Insights - Greater Wilmington Business Journal
Fall Vacation Rentals and Rising Cost of Real Estate by Mike Harrington | Sponsored Insights Greater Wilmington Business Journal
Vacation rentals in West Palm's Northwood: residents want limits Palm Beach Post
Is Redding getting tougher on short-term vacation rentals? Ask RS Record Searchlight
The 10 Best Bald Head Island Rentals TravelAwaits
Vacation rental ripoffs Albuquerque Journal
5 Louisiana vacation rentals that you should check out this summer Daily Advertiser
Vacation rental warning words: don't book if you see this! Elliott Advocacy
Lawsuit Seeks To Block Oahu Vacation Rental Law Honolulu Civil Beat
Manzanita's Sunset Vacation Rentals Bought By Vacasa â€“ Tillamook County Pioneer - Tillamook County Pioneer
Manzanita's Sunset Vacation Rentals Bought By Vacasa â€“ Tillamook County Pioneer Tillamook County Pioneer
Vacation rentals changing neighborhoods | Letter | The Journal of the San Juan Islands - Journal of the San Juan Islands
Vacation rentals changing neighborhoods | Letter | The Journal of the San Juan Islands Journal of the San Juan Islands
IN YOUR PRIME: How to find the right vacation rental Hamilton Journal News
Keefe Vacation Rentals merges and rebrands as Geneva Lakes Vacations Lake Geneva Regional News
Sonoma County supervisors extend moratorium on new vacation rentals CBS San Francisco
Featured Vacation Rental: June 23, 2022 OCNJ Daily
The Best Beach House Rentals in Europe, From Greece to Portugal CondĂ© Nast Traveler
Elevator improvements in NC vacation rentals go to governor Myrtle Beach Sun News
House heartache: Communities aim to keep people in place Adirondack Explorer
U.S. Attorney Dena J. King Urges Consumers To Beware Of Common Summer Scams Department of Justice
Make your next vacation historic! Experience Galveston history through exhibits, tours & more! - Houston On The Cheap
Make your next vacation historic! Experience Galveston history through exhibits, tours & more! Houston On The Cheap
best way to make money on vacation rentals Asia Insurance Review
Indian Rocks commission tackles short-term rentals, capital improvement projects - Tampa Bay Newspapers
Indian Rocks commission tackles short-term rentals, capital improvement projects Tampa Bay Newspapers
Summer travel is hell this year The Washington Post
Budgeting Tips to Make Most of Summer Travel TravelPulse
Q & A with State Attorney, 7th Judicial Circuit, RJ Larizza Florida NewsLine
Norfolk adopts new short-term rental rules, increases cap on rental units in Ocean View apartment buildings - The Virginian-Pilot
Norfolk adopts new short-term rental rules, increases cap on rental units in Ocean View apartment buildings The Virginian-Pilot
How I Travel: Stanley Tucci Always Wears a Suit Jacket to Fly CondĂ© Nast Traveler
The Best Poconos Cabins, Homes, and Hotels to Book | Architectural Digest Architectural Digest
Oneida Nation opens The Cove at Sylvan Beach Utica Observer Dispatch
Summer Travel Destinations New Orleans Magazine
Proposed La Quinta surf resort developer seeking delay in council vote on controversial project - Desert Sun
Proposed La Quinta surf resort developer seeking delay in council vote on controversial project Desert Sun
Rising Interest Rates Not Likely to Give Renters Relief Florida Atlantic University
This $14M Hill Country ranch can be a cash cow The Real Deal
27 Airbnbs Near New York City for a Weekend Getaway CondĂ© Nast Traveler
The worst hidden travel fees and how to avoid them 25 News KXXV and KRHD
Does Costco Travel Save Money On Hawaii Vacations? Beat of Hawaii
Full-service rental business opens for fun on lake Evening Observer
The best things to do in Mammoth this summer: bike, hike and camp Los Angeles Times
Champ Homes Receives Grant from Cape and Islands United Way Cape Cod Daily News
Car vs pole crash closes section of Carriage Shop Road in Falmouth Cape Cod Daily News
REPUBLICANS LEAD IN FUNDRAISING FOR STATE HOUSE RACE Florida Keys Weekly
Huge Demand of Short-Term Vacation Rentals (STRs) Market by 2029 | Airbnb, Booking.com, HOMEAWAY / VRBO â€“ Indian Defence News - Indian Defence News
Huge Demand of Short-Term Vacation Rentals (STRs) Market by 2029 | Airbnb, Booking.com, HOMEAWAY / VRBO â€“ Indian Defence News Indian Defence News
6 Useful Wedding Planning Tips That Will Help You Save Money Programming Insider
Our Favorite Vacation Homes in the Best Small Towns in America CondĂ© Nast Traveler
West Barnstable fire extinguishes lawn mower fire Friday Cape Cod Daily News
How to Rent Out Your Vacation Home The New York Times
How a Millennial Couple Went From 1 to 15 Airbnbs in 4 Years Business Insider
Reading Police arrest and charge Hyannis man with multiple firearms charges, OUIâ€¦ - Cape Cod Daily News
Reading Police arrest and charge Hyannis man with multiple firearms charges, OUIâ€¦ Cape Cod Daily News
We Bought a Home in the Hammock. Vacation Rentals Are Turning Our Street Into a Commercial Strip. - FlaglerLive.com
We Bought a Home in the Hammock. Vacation Rentals Are Turning Our Street Into a Commercial Strip. FlaglerLive.com
The Rise of Kitschy, Themed Vacation Rentals | Architectural Digest Architectural Digest
Tension brews over vacation rentals in Duluth Star Tribune
Ginger 4 Spleen - A Love Story!
For all I prefer to buy my fresh produce at a farm shop or farmers' market, I do appreciate the role that supermarkets have played in improving the variety in our diets, not to mention the convenience. Ginger, the root, is one of those foods that not too long ago, you would have to have hunted high and low for.
Fruits for Summer: Summer Skin Care
Summer is the time when we sweat highly and beating the heat is always high on our agenda. So, we move on to aerated drinks or other beverages.
Chew Your Food
I am going to share with you possibly the most important piece of advice you will ever receive about nutrition. This piece of advice is not about supplementation.
Nutrition as Attention Deficit Disorder ADHD Alternative Treatment: Help is as Close as the Kitchen
The quality of food we eat (or lack thereof) has a profound affect on Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD. For many people, nutrition alone can effectively work as an ADHD alternative treatment.
Healing Power of 8 Sugars: An Amazing Breakthrough in Nutrition
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Vitamin D - The Sunshine Vitamin!
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin like A and E. This vitamin is hard to obtain from food.
The Crucial Role of the Salt in Our Health
Salt is vital for our health. Right now, you have around 250 gr.
5 Secrets of Reading Food Labels Revealed
Whether you're concerned about cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or simply losing weight, you want to eat a healthy diet and focus on foods that are high in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, and balanced in fats, carbs, proteins.There is only one way to incorporate healthy foods into our diet and that is to make the decision to do it! Practical information about the nutrition and safety of the foods we consume is absolutely vital in making this decision.
Boost Your Immune System
The Immune System is probably the most important system in your body. It was designed by nature, millions of years ago, to aid the body in recovering from injuries and illness.
What about Potassium?
Information on potassiumWhen you read about potassium and senate document report 264 you'll life should be changed forever. You're going to discover that the biggest fallacy most people aren't aware of is that if we eat a balanced diet, (the four food groups), we get all the nutrients we need to stay healthy and live a long life.
Food We Take Determines Our Character
When you take your food next time, take care of the food what you are taking. Because the food you take determines your character.
Fluoride: A Plot to Dull the American Mind
During the Second World War, the Germans used fluoride as a tranquilizer in the Russian prison camps. At the same time, American members of the Communist Party met to discuss adding fluoride into the water supply, in order to bring about overall lethargy and thus ease the introduction and eventual dominance of Communism in America.
Nutrition Tips to Improve Fat Loss
Incorporating these fat loss tips will improve your nutrition program. Start off slowly and add one a week, you don't have to adopt all of them at once.
Nutrition Is More Than The Nutrition Facts Box
Nutrition usually only comes up when people are finally deciding to diet. By that point, the only purpose of mentioning nutrition is just to find a reason why one particular diet might be better than another.
Eating Outside Your Box
One way to combat the boredom many people complain accompanies eating healthy is to "eat outside your box," by experimenting with new foods and cuisines and by challenging your long held notions about what to eat and when. Iceberg is not the only kind of lettuce, apples and oranges aren't the only fruits and there is no law that says you can't eat mushroom lasagna for breakfast and a southwestern omelet for dinner.
Good Meal Sizes and Frequency
Meal sizes and frequency are very important. Over the years people are amazed by how much food I eat at work in a day and part of this can probably be explained by decent genetics but more importantly I make sure that I have a higher metabolism by eating more smaller meals.
Post Nasal Drip
Post nasal drip is a sensation of mucous build up in the throat. Sometimes you may even feel a dripping sensation from the back of your nose.
Set Your Fat Thermostat at a Healthy Level
Have you ever watched someone who appears thin and healthy eating a piece of chocolate cake and wondered how they stay thin? Part of the reason is that they have a set-point in their brain that keeps their body fat and weight from varying~ that is, until they do something that causes the brain to change its settings for weight control.That's what happened to me when I quit smoking.
Fasting & Enemas...For A Clean Body Detox
A hundred years ago, life was very different here on earth. The air was cleaner and the earth was rich in nutrients.
Good Fats and Bad Fats -- Whats The Difference?
As a low carb dieter, your diet is undoubtedly high in fat. And if you've done research on the different types of fats, you probably heard the two big buzz words surrounding fats today--"good fats" and "bad fats.
|home | site map|