|Small Business Information|
Freelance Tips: How to Cope with Spring Fever When Theres Work to Be Done
We all know how glorious those first warm days of spring feel. The trees are blooming, the birds are singing... boy, it's sure hard to keep your head out of the clouds when the skies are blue and the sun's shining brightly.
But if you're outside enjoying the warm weather... who's running your business?
Spring fever is a notorious distractor for those of us trying to earn a living on our own. There's no stern manager telling us we'd better hurry back from lunch. There's no one to stop us from cutting out early and cruising down to the local outdoor restaurant, slipping on our jogging shoes and heading off to the park, or venturing over to the mall for a reckless afternoon of shopping for spring fashions. So with no Big Brother to scold us, how can a freelancer keep springtime distractors from affecting productivity? Here are seven tips.
1. Shift your schedule forward or back a couple of hours. If you normally sit down to work at 9 a.m., try getting up a couple of hours earlier. You can wind down at about 3 p.m. and have the afternoon/evening for yourself. Or, if you're not a morning person, ease into your day with some mindless activities; spend some time out of doors. Settle down to business at about 11 a.m. and work through to 7 pm. While you're doing this, remember all those poor nine-to-fivers who can't enjoy such a flexible schedule!
2. Break up your work day into sections. Feeling blocked, and/or restless? Don't fight it. Sitting there for hours trying to get things accomplished when you just can't concentrate is only going to make the problem worse. Spend a couple of hours doing work, and then if you need to, take some time out to clear your head. Chances are, when you return, you'll be primed for productivity. And don't forget that sometimes the greatest ideas are born when the sun goes down!
3. Take a vacation. Sometimes you just have to give your body what it's asking for: a rest! If work is overwhelming you to the point that you just want to get in your car and drive away, then maybe that's what you should do. Even just a few days away from the computer will do wonders for your mind, body and spirit. Take a long weekend for a scenic retreat. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when you get back!
4. Start setting goals on paper. If you aren't doing this already, the spring season is a great time to get into the habit of setting practical goals. Having that list you can check off is a really handy way to be efficient. It's sort of like being in the grocery store when you aren't in the mood to go shopping! Write down the things you need to accomplish and set a completion date (or time) for each task. Set small goals over the course of a work week, and bigger goals over a span of a month or two. Refer back to your list frequently, and don't forget to reward yourself for your accomplishments. You'll soon come to realize: goal-setting really helps keep you on track!
5. Designate a time to check email. How many times have you set your mind to a task only to find you've lost an entire hour because you made the mistake of checking email? Email is by far the biggest time waster, especially when the weather is warm and everyone's preoccupied with frivolity. Don't give in to the temptation! Instead, designate two or three hours of your day to checking and responding to emails as well as deleting old ones that take up space in your mailbox. And NO, that forward your Aunt Millie sent does not count as a work-related email!
6. Take it outside. Who says you have to sit in a dark room staring at the monitor for 9 hours straight? If the weather is balmy, why not enjoy it while at the same time keeping busy! Print out your documents, grab a beach chair and choose a nice, quiet spot where you can work quietly and enjoy the warm sunshine. Don't forget a paperweight of some kind in case the wind picks up!
7. Do some spring cleaning. Sometimes, the best way to rid your mind of clutter is to rid your workspace of clutter. Grab the paper shredder, go through those old dusty files and clear away all that needless paperwork you'll never use again. Organize your office so that everything you need is within reach, such as paper clips, folders, pens, pads; and of course, your Springline stapler. Junk those useless computer files littering your computer desktop. Take a trip to Staples for a Rolodex and some stacking file holders. Once you're done reorganizing, you can finally get down to business!
Copyright 2005 Dina Giolitto. All rights reserved.
Dina Giolitto is a New-Jersey based Copywriting Consultant with nine years' industry experience. Her current focus is web content and web marketing for a multitude of products and services although the bulk of her experience lies in retail for big-name companies like Toys"R"Us. Visit http://www.wordfeeder.com for rates and samples.
Pressure Washing Business Case Study, Tractor Cleaning
So often small service businesses fail to exploit niches, which have little if any competition. I know as I built my companies we always tried to identify all the market niches and go after them. We were not always able to succeed at everything, occasionally we would fail; it happened more than I would care to admit, but those are lessons learned. The best way to get to success is to learn from the challenges of the past and so in my office I have a huge trashcan, bigger than any executive you will ever meet. And it is always full. That's okay. Let me tell you about one of the more successful niches we discovered in the pressure washing business; tractor cleaning.
Small Business Franchise Opportunities
Many businesses offer small business franchise opportunities. There are many things that are needed for a small business of this kind, but the rewards are great. Franchising allows you to take on a proven and marketable brand and logo, without having to go through the time, effort, and money to build a name or a reputation.
Small Business and Branding ? Why and How?
When we speak of branding most of the time people try to relate it to big business house, however, the fact is that every business needs to establish their brand in order to survive the competition. This is nothing new; experts and management gurus had been preaching the same sermon for years now but what they have not told is why you need to brand your small business? How is branding going to help you to establish your business? How can you establish your brand without spending a fortune on it?
3.5 Million People And A Possible UK Home Business Opportunity
Has this ever happened to you... 'John, you have a lot of mail this morning dear'. Stunned as a goldfish you walk over to the kitchen table and pick up the envelopes. Each one is a quality envelope that has an address label with your name on it. You flick through them and the labels are more or less identical. You open one, then another and you can then start to feel what the others are about. More UK home business opportunity!
Explode Your Consulting Income
Here are just a few ways to increase and diversify your income from your consulting business.
Arent Small Businesses Lucky?
Why? Because they have access to world class public relations no matter how small they are.
Restaurant Operators - What Skills do you Need
A tongue-in-cheek look at the skills required to operate a restaurant but?on he whole they come pretty close to the truth.
Franchise Company Operations Manual Sample Outline
Many companies wish to expand and a few wish to use franchising as a method of expansion. Not a bad idea, but one must consider the importance of the fine details. One book I recommend you read is the "E-Myth" by Gerber it is available at all the usual places. You see when going from a small business to a franchise company it is important to make sure you take out all the mistakes you have made in the past in building your small business and insure that your future franchisees never make those mistakes themselves. After all they need not go thru the rigorous minefields and brick walls you had to in order to be successful. Especially considering you will most likely be charging them a substantial upfront franchise fee.
Small Business Computer Security, the Basics
Anyone in business today realizes both the natural dependency on computers in the workplace, and also the potential dangers associated with storing important data on them. Today's business owners are constantly being reminded that their company's data is at risk by the daily reports on various news stations, or even their favorite business-related website.
Australian Workplace Agreements - How They Work For You
The employer / employee relations environment has been constantly evolving during the last 25 years. In Australia, as in many western nations, the balance between employers and employees has shifted back and forwards usually in response to supply and demand.
Small Does Not Mean Invisible!
Running a business on the net these days can be like looking up into a clear night sky; it can leave you feeling very small and insignificant.
Slip And Fall Professionals; Service Businesses
Since you own a business you probably have liability insurance to help you against a scam of slip and fallers. Some entrepreneurs call them slip and fall professionals. The scout out the area, bring friends as witnesses trip and fall and then file a lawsuit, go to their chiropractor who is best friends with a lawyer and soak you or your insurance company out of tens of thousands of dollars. If you own a service company and you work on site, do not think for one minute you are safe from these insurance scams. In a service company you will have completed operations, Slip & Fall insurance and a large amount of liability insurance, you may find a rare person who thinks they can target you for a lawsuit.
Pressure Washing Aircraft Hangers at the Airport
If you are looking for a way to own your own business using a pressure washer or expand your current pressure washing business you might consider cleaning Aircraft Hangers out at the airport. Why Wash Aircraft hangers? For one it can lead to much more work cleaning all sorts of things at airports which is an encapsulated market. Larger airports have terminal buildings, staging areas, parking structures, fuel depots, retaining walls, security vehicles, airport shuttles, rent-a-cars and of course aircraft. If you get a job cleaning a hanger or several you will be seen by others who need services desperately.
Franchise Territories for Mobile Businesses; Why Limitations
In franchising an individual desirous of their own business will sign on with a franchising company and use their brand name, know how and expertise to make a living. The franchisor will generally assign an exclusive territory with limitations. In our franchise company we have mobile service units, which clean cars and we have to have territories to prevent in-fighting from franchisees which might inadvertently end up competing with one another.
5 Steps To Success for Small Business Owners
Everyone wants to succeed in life. Most people want to succeed in business. And no one starts a business of any sort wanting to fail.
Perception: What Are Your Patients REALLY Hearing?
Never underestimate the power of perception! Perception plays a major part in what is actually said -vs- how it is heard. And to patients...perception is reality!
Passion Is Key To A Successful Business
Passion. Passion alone can make your business successful. As an entrepreneur, you are a passionate person. For why would anyone invest such incredible amounts of time and energy on something they have no REAL desire to do? If you do such a thing, then it's just bullshit. You have built an unreal, superficial way work environment and based on that you most likely are not very satisfied in what you do.
5 Tips for Hiring a GREAT Bookkeeper
Bookkeeping?the "dreaded" word is something we all have to worry about. Business owners rarely go into business to deal with the financial aspects of running a business. It's easy to understand why! Who wants to do all those boring record keeping functions? Not many. Therefore, one of the first things most entrepreneurs do is hire a bookkeeper. Though hiring a friend, relative or anyone who isn't experienced with the basics of bookkeeping may be a recipe for DISASTER!
9 Things You Must Do To Maximize Your Chances Of Obtaining A Small Business Loan
To get approval for your small business loan application, you must be able to meet the lending criteria set down. Some organisations are more risk averse than others, and will therefore have more stringent criteria. To vastly increase your chances of a successful funding application, you will need to present the following information:
Setting Up as an Electronic Repair Authorized Service Center
If you plan to upgrade your workshop into an Authorized Service Center, this should guarantee plenty of work and a secure future. Setting up from scratch as an Authorized Service Center is not an easy job. Your workshop need to meet the manufacturers' requirement first before they can appoint your company as an Authorized Service Center.
|home | site map|