|Small Business Information|
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Rudy Giuliani
1. Leadership Is Learned ? While many people appear to have an innate ability to lead, most learn from their life and business experiences, then put these lessons into practice. Giuliani wrote, "The greatest leadership you ever have is the ability to lead your own life."
2. Understand Good Leaders, Not Good Leadership ? Giuliani wrote, "Read biographies of leaders you admire. That will tell you more about leadership than any leadership book."
3. Learn Throughout Life ? Education doesn't stop when you quit attending school. In Giuliani's words: "That's how I ended up on the morning of September 12, reading a biography of Churchill. I was thinking, 'I'm going to deal with something I haven't dealt with before. Let me see if I can learn something.'"
4. Stand Up To Bullies ? It's important to have a sense of justice?"to realize you have to stand up to people who take advantage of those who are weaker."
5. Discourage Yes-Men/Women ? As the saying goes, if we both have the same opinion one of us is unnecessary. Build the team in your small business with people who don't think exactly like you.
6. Reflect, Then Decide ? Before making important decisions, learn everything you can about the topic. Giuliani said as soon as he found out he had cancer he began collecting information and suddenly felt safe, because then he could go to work doing something about it.
7. Don't Listen To Critics ? Anytime you're in charge, there will be people "chirping" in the background. Giuliani didn't let them distract him from doing what he believed was right.
8. Become An Expert ? Giuliani wrote: "When people come to you to ask for advice and information because you know more about a subject than they do, that's a sign of great leadership."
9. Be Respectful ? Use the Golden Rule: treat others as you want to be treated. "People know when you're talking down to them, and they will not respect you," he said.
10. Stay Close To Your Customers ? In Giuliani's case, this meant being with constituents, New Yorkers, in the weeks after 9/11. Remember him in the NYFD baseball cap and blue jeans, there to provide comfort and determination for all?
11. Communicate And Inform ? In all of his press conferences and briefings after 9/11, Giuliani provided facts and details, understanding the importance of candid statements at all times. Let your team know what's going on in your small business.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (http://www.successhandler.com), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he's been there ? as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.
Naming Your Business: 3 Tips To Ensure Success
If you are just starting your business, or if you have just developed a new product or service for an existing business, one of the first questions you need to answer is, "What should I name it?" And while you may feel pressure to make this decision quickly, I caution you to not make it lightly. What kind of things should you take into consideration when choosing a name?
Asking the RIGHT Questions
Which questions do you need to ask to even get a hint if you really want to know something about another person's business pain?
Franchise Rule to be Revised; Why?
The FTC, Federal Trade Commission, is considering modifying the franchise rule. So far it has be a ten-year process; just imagine working that slow in your business? In 1995, 1997 and 1999 when the comments were first considered and taken in, which spans a ten-year period. When you combine those comments with this current rule making period they may have broken the record for the longest rule making session since voting on the slavery issue; one heck of a long rule making period by any means.
A Day in the Life of a Self Employed Professional
It's Monday morning and Connie the Consultant sits in her executive office chair overseeing her business empire. Her desk is strewn with half finished projects, several weeks worth of to do lists (none of them completed), scribbled post it notes, and a permission slip for her daughter's field trip to the Planetarium that should have been turned in last week. Somewhere, buried deep in the rubble is Connie's business plan. The last time she saw it was during the Clinton Administration.
Boat Cleaning Business Case Study: Entrepreneurship 101
How do marine type businesses start? Have you ever thought of turning a hobby into a business? Let me tell you a story of how I got into the Boat Detailing Business when I started our in the car cleaning business which grew into a franchise system. So often we read in business books to study markets and develop business plans when in reality it does not exactly work that way. Let me tell you a story of how sometimes the entrepreneur just falls into opportunity.
Work is a Four Letter Word
I love work, I can watch it all day.
How Most Business Owners Sabotage Their Success
Owning a business is a challenging endeavor. If you're like many novice small business owners, you've taken numerous risks with your time and your money, only to see all of your efforts producing little or no result. This can leave you frustrated and ready to give up. That's no surprise. The more we focus on the negative parts of owning a small business the more negative results we will attract. Learning how to deal with obstacles is the key to avoiding failure. Those small business owners who never learn to deal with obstacles will often become overwhelmed and end their business. Negative thinking is the center of the small business failure scenario.
Collect that Debt - Your Business Depends on it
The efficiency of debt collection is the difference between a business that will succeed and a business that closes up.
Small Business Grants - Tips from the Pros
Every business starts with an idea or a dream. To implement this idea or to turn your dream in to reality you require finance. A grant supports the business ideas and turns the dreams of an entrepreneur in to reality.
Pressure Washing at Golf Courses
There are many potential niches for pressure washing companies that often go unchecked. Some are quite lucrative and are worth investigation if you own a pressure washing business. One such niche is the pressure washing of golf courses, clubs houses, golf carts and facilities. To target this specialization of services you will need to slightly modify your sales approach.
Employee Email and Internet Use - A Small Business Guide
Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Joining a Professional Association
I'll be the first to admit that I went a little nuts when I moved I moved recently in terms of going all-out to participate in a variety of professional associations. I had some experience with most of the groups that I visited in other places I had lived, or had clients who had positive experiences with certain groups. I was so eager to become involved again in professional associations that instead of really paying attention to a group as it exists locally, I made decisions to join groups based on my past experiences and experiences of clients.
Professional House Cleaning - The Dirty Little Secret
Are you tired yet of all the books out there telling you how easy it is to start a house cleaning business? I'm not inferring that all their information is bad, but let's be honest about how "easy" it really is.
Dispute Resolution; Competing With Other Franchisees
If you are in a franchise and have a territory dispute with another franchisee you need to prevent a lawsuit use dispute resolution techniques to resolve the dispute. Competing with other franchisees is a subject that franchisors would prefer not to need to talk about. This is a real problem for some types of franchises. For instance mobile service businesses and home based franchises.
Cleaning Grain Silos, Towers, Containers, and Combines
If you run a pressure washing company in a rural market you will need to learn how to wash agricultural industry equipment and infrastructure. In our company The Tractor Wash Guys, we We have several years of experience washing combines. Phil Hasenhoehrl, a wheat farmer in Lewiston Idaho, was raised in the farming business. His family has been farmers for over 100 years. In addition to farming, Phil has worked with us and helped us in learning how best to develop this market sector. He was before joining our team a farmer. He owns a $250,000 John Deere combine that he maintains himself.
Perfecting Your Pitch
Why should you describe your business to others in 5 to 10 seconds?
Carwash Manual Sample Outline
Car wash businesses are unique to other businesses. In fact they are about as unique as the many different type of vehicles one is asked to wash. Many vehicles are best cleaned using slightly different techniques. If you own a carwash or a mobile car wash you will need an operations manual to assist your managers in staying efficient.
Grants vs. Contracts
Commonly folks have asked me what the technical difference is between a contract and a grant. The difference is not about the dollar value or who the buying entity is nor the kind of work being done. Instead it is about the legal concept of default. In my eyes, the corner stone of whether something should be called a grant or a contract lies in whether one is legally bound to produce results as one is in a contractual relationship or whether you are simply granted funds to do something. Did you get that nuance? Perhaps that is oversimplifying it.
Firing Underperforming Employees in Your Small Business
Here are a few tips on how to hand out pink slips when it comes time to terminate an employee.
Employee Monitoring - Business Risks For Employers And How To Avoid Them
E-mail and Internet use are integral parts of the typical worker's daily routine. Because of its speed and overall convenience, e-mail has replaced the interoffice memorandum as the preferred method of communication. Employee access to the Internet also is important as a means of conducting job-related research and transactions.
|home | site map|