|Small Business Information|
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Punxsutawney Phil
1. Look Over Your Shoulder ? Of course, Punxsutawney Phil has to look over his to search for his shadow. You should, too, every so often, to check out your competition?and see whether they're gaining on (or leading) you.
2. Be Unique ? While groundhogs normally live six to eight years, legend says there is only one Phil, and he's been making predictions for more than 118 years. Think about why your small business stands out, and let the world know your special (and truthful) story.
3. Create An Event ? Folks gathering in Punxsutawney on Groundhog Day also enjoy the 2nd Annual Phil's "Anything Goes" Chili and Wings Cook-off, 7th Annual Woodchuck Whittle and Crowning of Little Mr. and Miss Groundhog. Find opportunities to celebrate with your customers and community.
4. Expand Your Offerings ? As you might guess, there are plenty of Phil collectibles for sale, including a Ty Beanie Red Tie version. Think of ways to capture more of your customers'/clients' business by providing more high-value products/services for them.
5. Be Resourceful ? The majority of "Groundhog Day" was shot 600 miles away in Woodstock, Illinois, because Punxsutawney didn't have an appropriate town square. Look for creative ways to find answers to your business challenges.
6. Think Small ? Punxsutawney is a community that maintains its small-town lifestyle. Remember to always treat your clients/customers like you live in their neighborhoods.
7. Act Big ? Over the years, Phil met President Reagan, appeared on Oprah and gave his prediction on the big screen in Times Square. Just because you're a small business doesn't mean you have to act like one.
8. Spread The Word ? In 1887, the editor of the local paper proclaimed Phil the one and only official weather prognosticating groundhog, and newspapers from around the globe soon began reporting his predictions. Be sure to let the media know what exciting things you're doing.
9. Involve Your Whole Team ? The Groundhog Club Inner Circle, which carries on the tradition of Phil ? including taking care of him and planning events ? consists of local dignitaries. Invite all of your employees to share with you in setting and achieving goals for your small business.
10. Have Fun ? Think about it?all these people paying attention to a groundhog? Remember to find moments to celebrate, laugh and enjoy the good things in your life.
11. Get Plenty Of Rest ? While hibernating in winter isn't an option, take advantage of opportunities to rejuvenate. It will make you more effective in the long run.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (http://www.successhandler.com), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he's been there ? as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.
FTC Report on Franchise Rule Making; What Purpose?
The Federal Trade Commission out of the blue decide in November of 2004 that they wanted to revamp the franchise and business opportunity rule; specifically addressing franchising. Now then, why now? To prove to the masses that the Federal Trade Commission is in control? After all it is nearly 10 years after the Federal Trade Commission considered revising the rule, before this report has surfaced again. Ten years?
Definition of Security: Small Business Owner
Yes, that IS security when nobody can downsize you because you OWN that small business of yours! But preserving that special advantage is a never-ending job. In fact, do you know what needs to be preserved more than anything else?
Mobile Detailing Environmental Concern in the Deep South
Macon, GA goes after garage-gas station conversion detail/hand car washes for allowing storm drain pollution. I can remember a time when we were in the Macon GA. we stopped and talked to be head of the DEP and showed them pictures of people polluting after someone complained about our company we knew it was a competitor. They looked at the pictures and then looked us in the eyes and said "we do not want any problems around here, you must be from somewhere else are you from California?" we said yes, we were from California, but that makes no difference, because you are not allowed to pollute anywhere in this country no matter where you are because the NPDES permits requires that you follow EPA laws.
Competition in the Market Place and Over Disclosure Regulatory Burden
The Federal Trade Commission is assisting competitor to cheat and encouraging this unethical behavior thru their disclosure rule on franchisors. Competition in the market place is far more competitive and the stakes are high enough that Over Disclosure Regulatory Rules cause competition to take the advantage and cheat. And before you say I am off base on these comments, let me tell you that 20% of every single inquiry to buy our franchise comes from a competitor. That's right 20%.
Using Technology to Manage Customer Loyalty
Don't let your customer satisfaction research initiative collect dust on a shelf. Integrate technology with research to optimize the use of customer information.
ADH Will Make Your Life More Productive & Your Life More Profitable
What is a Virtual Assistant?
Mobile Car and Truck Washing Vehicle Placement
To maximum potential profits and dollars in a mobile washing business it pays to set up in your mind in advance the best and most strategic place to park, before stopping to wash. You will obviously want to park your rig in a location that allows you to do as many cars as possible without moving the vehicle. For instance; let us say that your hose for water is one hundred plus feet but your vacuum hose is only forty feet, so if you have four cars in close proximity and one is a vacuum, park closest to that car. This way you can wash all four cars without moving the truck or rolling up the hoses, thus maximizing efficiency.
Becoming Recession Proof
A lot of business owners I've spoken with lately have commented how their business is slow because of "the recession." If you are one of these people, you might want to reconsider your position. Before blindly saying a condition is being caused by a recession, you might want to ask yourself, "What will it cost me to buy into this?" Consider if you will that your thoughts create your reality. If you doubt that, study any spiritual, religious, philosophical, writing over the last 5,000 years and you will see this lesson over and over. For example, "The destiny of man is in his own soul," Herodotes (5th century B.C.). "Our life is what our thoughts make of it," Marcus Aurelius (121-180) and on and on throughout history, people have been carrying this message.
Finding a Venture Capital Firm
Many ventures are faced with the challenging task of raising venture capital. The first part of this process is finding the right venture capital firm (VC). While this may seem simple, it isn't. There are thousands of venture capital firms in the United States alone, and going after the wrong ones is one of the most common reasons why companies fail to raise the capital they need.
Pressure Washing Market Niche
Those who are in the pressure washer business should not neglect the Hotel exterior cleaning niche. Many five-star hotels spend significant dollars in making sure that their grounds are meticulously cleaned. There are also many regular hotels, which take pride in their hotels. It would be wise to have a customized sales letter and/or brochure made especially for this type of service, with follow-up information on your website.
Over Disclosure Hurts Businesses
Many investors and business ethics professionals are calling for more transparency and regulators are calling for more disclosure. Yet in the franchising industry this can spell disaster indeed. Often Competitors seeking information about companies will collect these documents and use it to the disadvantage of franchising companies.
The Key to Creating Total System Empowerment
In this paper, I will:
Competition Relations in Auto Detailing
There is significant competition in auto detailing and car washing. Even more between types of cleaning businesses, as each company attempts to expand into other services which are the mainstay of similar business models. Many times the line blurs between a car wash, oil change business, truck repair, auto accessories business, electronics installers and auto detailing. What can you do? Well first let's talk about what you should not do. You should not start a war against all your competition. Instead you should maintain good relations with them, even if you find them to be somewhat unethical by nature.
Are You Making the Most of Your Intern?
KEEPING INTEREST HIGH: Supervision is key to the success of the program. Interns like direction, but don't like to feel they are being constantly checked on. Even this small amount of direction, however, can take a great deal of time. It is important to be willing to set aside this time to give the intern direction. One method that seems to work calls for a briefing at the beginning of each day and a "where-do-we-stand?" briefing at its end. Throughout the day, the manager is on hand to answer any questions that might come up -- remember this is a learning experience! There should also be additional time set aside throughout the duration of the internship during which the manager receives feedback from the intern on his or her satisfaction with the assignment and suggestions for future directions. Equally important, interns should receive feedback on their progress. They need to know if they are performing to the manager's expectations. Additionally, many interns have chosen to keep diaries and time logs documenting their involvement. These can be reviewed at the conclusion of that person's internship.
Routine Maintenance of High Pressure Hot Water Motors
If you run a pressure washer business you need complete uptime on your equipment, break downs can be costly if your billing rates are $100 to $150.00 per hour. If you are bidding by the job there are times when it is absolutely a great profession to be in. That is if your equipment is working properly. Here are some preventative maintenance for your high-pressure hot water skid unit.
Does Your Business Need a Toll-Free 800 Number?
Should your business have a toll free number for customers to make sales, service and billing inquirers? The industry began in the early 1970's and today most customers expect you to have it. Providing a toll free line can bring in a number of benefits to your business.
Small Business No How - Dont Give Away the Farm
You're pretty proud of yourself! After all, only four months ago you came up with the idea of opening your own business - "Jenni's Interior Design" Your friends have always said you were gifted when it came to arranging furniture and picking out colors, and you love to do it, so you decided it was time to get serious.
Canon City, Colorado - Good for Small Business
Canon City, Colorado is known for it's 6 Prisons; State and Federal, women's prison and juvenile. It is also home to the First Colorado Territorial Prison. Pictured here. Most of the people work for the prison system and it is the main employer of the town. This helps the local business community with high paying jobs. The small town has 7 new car dealerships and six used dealerships. Canon City is surrounded by several other smaller towns, which add quite a bit of people to the area.
Advertising - For Small Businesses (Part 2)
How to do it
How to Prepare for Your Start-Up Venture!
When you awoke this morning, you found yourself buzzing with a fantastic idea for starting a new business and you hadn't a doubt in your mind that you could turn it into a huge success. But now what? All those great ideas floating around in your head and you're excited about making them happen, but at the moment you don't know where to begin. What is the first thing you should do as you contemplate your plan of action?
|home | site map|